Attendance at The GIVE Gathering volunteer fair held at the Eden Prairie City Center on April 19, 2018 nearly doubled from last year. More than 250 persons attended to learn about volunteer opportunities at 35 local organizations.
The volunteer fair filled to capacity the Heritage Rooms, with several booths spilling out into hallways.
The GIVE Gathering – GIVE stands for Gather to Inspire Volunteer Engagement – was sponsored by the Eden Prairie Community Foundation, Eden Prairie Schools Community Education, and the City of Eden Prairie. It was free for both the public and for nonprofits and other organizations positioned at tables to recruit new volunteers and members.
Why hold The GIVE Gathering at all?
Volunteerism is to a healthy community as exercise is to a healthy body. In other words, more is better. To keep Eden Prairie vibrant, nonprofits and civic organizations need to be active and strong, and volunteers are the key.
Volunteerism not only saves money that otherwise might need to be spent by local government, it’s also healthy for its participants. Scientific data show that volunteers are happier and live longer than inactive people.
So, we’re pleased to hear anecdotally about the new volunteers that were welcomed into the fold on April 19, and the great exposure given nonprofits and service organizations.
Here’s the full list of organizations that participated:
- A Better Society – Project Life Cycle
- Avenues for Homeless Youth
- Bethany Christian Services
- Boy Scout Troop 370
- Bloomington-EP Meals on Wheels
- Camp Gratitude
- Carver Scott Humane Society
- CHOICE, Inc.
- City of Eden Prairie – Parks & Recreation
- Eden Prairie Community Band
- Eden Prairie Community Foundation
- Eden Prairie Historical Society
- Eden Prairie Lions Club
- Eden Prairie Reads
- Eden Prairie Women of Today
- EP Players Community Theater
- EP Schools’ Community Education & Family Resources Program
- EP-Beyond the Yellow Ribbon
- Feed My Starving Children
- Friends of the Eden Prairie Library
- Helping Paws Inc.
- Interfaith Circle
- Let’s Go Fishing-EP
- Nine Mile Creek Watershed District
- Normandale Center for Healing & The Colony
- Power of 100 Southwest
- Senior Community Services/HOME Progam
- Talon Robotics
- The Power Center
- The PROP Shop
- True Friends (Camp Eden Wood)
- Writers Rising Up
We thank our city and school district partners, and also the Eden Prairie Beyond the Yellow Ribbon veterans-support organization that supplied an on-site service project: people were asked to write cards of encouragement and support to servicemen and servicewomen.
Watch for The GIVE Gathering again next spring. It’s a great way to learn more about giving back to your community.
Here are some photos taken at this year’s event by Akram Ibrahim of Community Education and Mark Weber of the Foundation: